Saturday, July 31, 2010

Weekend Cook: Too Hot To Grill?


Beef rib-eye with grilled vegetables and a compound butter comprised of 1/2 TB Butter, 1/2 TB Boucher Blue Cheese, and three cloves of grated Garlic.  Actually, I think our Gore-Dawn-Zola or Tomme would have been better cheeses for this, they can stand up to the garlic; and that folks, was the slightly disappointing denouement to this round of grilling.

This wasn't my favorite cook of the year.  It was so windy that the grill kept blowing out - and it was so hot that the gas tank on the side of the grill was throwing an actual hissy-fit, making an alarming new-to-me sound.   A really ominous make-me-nervous-about-this-thing-blowing-up kind of "sqeee".  I angled the grill so that the tank was in the shade instead of being in the white blinding light, but still.  Not. Good.

It's always a challenge to use up all (or nearly all) of the vegetables we bring home from farmer's market.


The beets were placed in foil to steam.  I like preparing them this way, without boiling water and an extra pot to watch wash.


Baby eggplants get a bit of oil and salt prior to grilling.


Squashes are going on as is, they actually sweat on the grill, so nothing sticks.


With the grill on "high" I dumped the veggies over the hotspots and stepped back into the shade.  It took about 10 - 12 minutes in all, plus a little extra time for the fattest squashes.  Beets are in a less hot spot, I didn't want them to scorch.  And speaking of scorching, I could actually feel my scalp burning from the sun each time I stepped out of my shady hidey hole.


Browned, turned, removed to a plate under foil and a heavy towel to finish cooking while the steaks go on.  The foiled beet package was turned and remained on the grill for ten more minutes.


Back in the air-conditioned cool of the kitchen, the farm's 2-inch thick rib-eyes were trimmed to reduce flare-ups.  They were simply coated in EVOO, salt and pepper.



10/10/20  Ten minutes per side, 20 minutes baked indirect with the opposing burner on "low".   The steaks were removed to the counter to rest under foil and a heavy towel while I skinned the beets and sliced the other veggies.

 I will be using a charcoal grill for the next cook.