Saturday, July 17, 2010

Weekend Cook: Tamale Experiment; is this #5 or #6?


Finally!  A successful, fluffy tamale without lard or hard fat of any kind.  The secret ingredient is: EVOO.  There, I've given you something significant - though, I think corn oil and the local sunflower oil might be interesting to try, too.


Dry ingredients:  1 Cup Masa Harina, 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder, 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder, 1/4 tsp. Salt, 1/2 tsp. Adobo Powder, 1/4 tsp. Chipotle Powder (a bit too much).


Mix together with 1/4 cup EVOO - then add 2/3 cup of stock or water.  The texture was like a shortbread cookie dough.  Chill for 1/2 an hour.


Thin the batter with additional stock until it is the consistency of peanut butter.


1 1/2 Cups of Filling: 2 Tbs. Dry Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, Pulled Pork from this cook; Roasted Garlic, Onions, Carrots and Peppers from this cook.


Moisten with sauce - I used mole from the jar, Candeleros brand - my favorite.  It needed additional salt to bring out the sweetness of the vegetables.


If you know how many tamale experiments I've done so far, you know the drill: form a tamale and steam for two hours.


Waiting, waiting.


Done!  Mess on a plate, served up with more mole.  I ran out of filling, so I made those two sad and broken tamales in the foreground with mozzarella.  Very messy.  We ate it all. I froze the rest in their wrappers to reheat on those days when it's too hot to cook.

Got leftovers? Try tamales!