Saturday, June 5, 2010

Weekend Cook: Tiny Chicken on The Big Green Egg

DSC03973

It was Memorial Day, and we had no chickens in the freezer!  I went to Bob's Meat Market in St. Albans to get hooked up with a traditional cook..

Small fryer-sized chickens cook quickly on the Egg.  Almost too quickly, I'm not used to grilling wee birdies.

DSC03947

Honestly, it took more time to make the potato salad than it took these to cook.  They were grilled on the cut side (cover down) for twenty minutes. The probe registered 161f, the temperature I would normally pull a large 7 or 8 pound bird.  (The dome temperature was 300f and rose to 350f near the end.)

DSC03953

I reasoned that there wasn't enough mass for the temperature to rise in the resting phase to finish cooking, so I turned them and let them be for 10 additional minutes.

DSC03968

Asparagus drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with salt went on for about 7 minutes, rolling them around every two minutes or so.  I love asparagus on the grill.

DSC03981

Nice and moist, perfect for serving two people.  The (new) new potato salad recipe is coming!  Another is found here.