Thursday, January 7, 2010

On the Side: Macaroni Cheese

Pan fried flounder and a kickin' homemade tartar sauce, but it's the wheatless macaroni cheese that's the focus here.

A cup and a half of prepared wheatless pasta go into a ceramic loaf pan; four strips of bacon (fried and chopped), and four to six ounces of shredded cheese (gruyere and sharp cheddar) are added.

TIP: At this point, it can be refrigerated overnight if you want to bake it the next day - that's what I do when I make this dish for a party. Make the sauce right before you cook it.

I made a bechamel out of sweet rice flour and bacon fat, adding about three cups of half and half until thick.

It baked at 400f for twenty minutes.

It needed a bit of salt and pepper, but was all kinds of tasty.


The tartar sauce was based on Ina Garten's recipe here. I left out the capers (because I don't have any), added about two teaspoons of sugar (because I used sour gherkins) and a teaspoon or so of Worcestershire Sauce. Way better than store-bought; it really punched up the fish.