Sunday, October 18, 2009

Weekend Cook: tiny, bony pork ribs


I ordered full slabs of St. Louis ribs from the processor for all our pigs, and I got them; but I also got this:

(This was taken with my phone, which has color balance issues.)

These are some kind of rib-bits. I treated them just like any other cook; rubbed on a light coating of mustard and sprinkled them with a mixture of paprika, turbinado sugar, and pepper.


I set the Egg at 250F and let them cook (indirect) for 2 1/2 hours.



Then, I placed them in foil and put them back on the heat.


No beer steambath, it was starting to look like that would be a waste of good brew.

I washed some beets from Arethusa Collective, and separated the greens. Both greens and beets were placed in separate foil pouches.


At the 2 1/2 hour point when the ribs were foiled, the whole beets went on.

After 2 more hours I removed the ribs, but left the beets on, and added the packet of greens.

(See how bony they are?)

I let the vegetables cook for 1/2 hour more.

(Ribs, done - and very tasty)

The flavor of the ribs was right on, they were definitely ours.

(The skins slipped right off the beets.)


The greens were done perfectly.


The beets were very sweet. The trouble with wee ribs like these is that they barely fed two people as an appetizer.