Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Menu: Shrimp and Salmon Casserole

It was my birthday, and I wanted salmon mousse stuffed shrimp. However, time was not on my side for elaborate preparations, so it all got cooked up casserole-style at the last minute.

First, I blackened some peppers.

I scraped off the skins, diced them, and added them to diced and sauteed shallots (4 large), and a large seeded and diced tomato. Then I added two egg whites, and about 1/2 cup of tortilla breadcrumbs. (I put this in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour for everything to mellow, adjusted for salt and pepper, before I assembled the casserole.)

Two pounds of cleaned, raw shrimp make up the bottom layer, I cut up 16 ounces of boneless, skinless salmon in large dice and added it to the vegetable stuffing. Then I covered it all with about a cup of thick tomato-cream/garlicky bechamel (to keep it from drying out). I put it in a 375f oven for 60 minutes, until the casserole bubbled at the sides.

I made garlic toast from some gluten-free bread.

It was getting a bit dark in the house for photos, but you can see the peppers and tomatoes in the stuffing and the shrimp underneath. The egg whites made the stuffing light and fluffy - not heavy like the Ritz cracker-based stuffings that are usually served with seafood.

Loads of broth for sopping up. It was creamy tasting, garlicky, tomatoey, the shrimp was perfectly done, and the big surprise: the salmon stuffing was amazing. I had stopped buying salmon from the local market because it was so flavorless, but it was really highlighted by the fragrant vegetables in this dish.