Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday Menu: Grilled Beef Flank

Simple flank served up with a green cabbage slaw.

Instead of a dry rub or marinade, I rubbed chili paste all over the meat.

Gluten-free!

This looks like salt, but it is actually turbinado (sugar in the raw). I let this set for 40 minutes to allow the sugar melt - and helped it along by sprinkling on some fish sauce.

Ten minutes per side on high, then 20 minutes on the unlit side, the burner turned down to "low", covered.

Looks nice, but at this thickness, a twenty-minute rest under foil and a towel would have given the rare result I was looking for. Instead, by using a baking step, I got a solid "medium".

The slaw: 1/2 head of cabbage shredded, and a dressing of 1/4 cup mayonnaise, and a teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder. Then 1/2 tsp. each of celery salt and mustard powder, 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, and enough white sugar to give a sweet/sour balance (a tsp. or so). I always add the sugar to taste at the end, and if it seems too sweet, I add a bit more vinegar.