Monday, October 24, 2016

Honey-roasted Pears

Honey-roasted Pears with Boucher Blue Cheese
Back in the day, my parents would pop the kids into their avocado-green wood paneled station wagon and drive to visit my Mom’s sister Martha’s place on Hardscrabble Hill Road in Milton.

Her husband, Ted could make pancakes in the shape of rocking horses, and showed us how to “slop” the pigs.

They had a structure full of baled hay just up the hill to the left, a sweet pony that could be ridden without saddle or bridle, and a mental German Shepherd that would run full bore around the perimeter of the house. No grass grew in the path that he created. 

This was where I first saw a Bartlett tree in fruit.

It was old and very large (or maybe I was just very small).

I remember eating fresh pears as being a big juicy mess, but I don’t recall any ways to cook with them.

Fresh Pears 
In any event, I now have my own fruit trees!

This recipe for roasted pear goes well with a few wedges of strong and salty blue cheese or extra-aged cheddar.  Try them hot with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Honey-roasted Pears with Blue Cheese
 Honey-Roasted Pears

Serves 4-6

4-6 Fresh Pears, halved and cored
1 ½ TB Butter (I used our farm’s Redbarn Butter)
¼ Cup of Honey (Caledonia Spirits recommended)

Preheat oven to 300f.

Place pears in a pan, cut side up.

Drizzle with slightly warmed butter and honey.

Roast 15-20 minutes, until pears soften.

Serve with the pan sauce